Pages

Saturday, January 28, 2012

mirror mirror on the wall

i mentioned that my husband and i joined the gym for the first time this year.

typically i do my routine on the treadmill and then i move onto the weight machines.

i felt so strong and athletic during my workout the other day until i spotted myself walking in the mirror. i took a double take and wondered what was following so closely behind me...could that actually be my behind! i never look back there. i never knew it was that big. it was a slight set back to my ego, but i moved forward to a squatting machine eager to sit down and hide that big ol' thang. 

during my 3rd set i made the mistake a second time and looked to the left. i then catch a glance of myself in a very unflattering scrunched up position that reveals (and i'm not exaggerating when i say) maybe 5-6 rolls in my midsection. i couldn't believe that my over-sized tank tops would tell on me like that. shortly after that, i was done at the gym. i couldn't risk seeing anymore of my disappointing body parts.

the gym is great with the exception of their stupid unavoidable mirror wall. it's bad enough that momma has to wear 2 sports bras just to prevent a breast injury when i jog, but come one people...you could generate more business if you installed one of those dressing-room-skinny-mirrors to make people like me feel better about themselves at the gym.

or maybe the mirror is a constant reminder why we are coming there to begin with and why we need to continue to come back.

either way, i will be more careful when turning my head to the left.


1 comment:

  1. Ah Crystal I think you're being too hard on yourself. Don't get yourself down. You should be proud of yourself that you are working toward a goal of running that 10K!

    Stephen starts a new work schedule in a week. He will finally be home on the weekends and during the week in the afternoons/evenings. My goal is to start jogging every late afternoon. I too will have to sport the double sports bras. :)

    ReplyDelete