Pages

Sunday, June 10, 2012

post-op...


when chad and i arrived at the doctor's office on friday, the doctor was running late.

this actually was fine with me because i was in no hurry.
also, i work for a general surgeon who was late all week so this felt like home to me.
i could tell it irritated my husband a little :)

i was fine until they brought me back to this room.

you can see the excitement on my face as i am signing the consent form.

all the instruments were starting to make me nervous and it was freezing in there.
shortly after that, i met dr. grant. he is very kind. he went over everything with me and said it usually takes 45 minutes for the whole procedure.
he also pointed out erosion on my jaw bones...bummer.

the nurse was really nice and she began to make me feel more and more at ease.
(chad later admitted she put him at ease too)
she lives near us in kyle and we talked about the different trees we have planted in our yards :)

then the insurance ladies walked in and went over the cost.
come to find out, delta dental, our insurance company,  is really good.
they covered all the cost including my anesthesia.
we put extra money this year in our FSA account to help cover this.
a little planning goes a long way and i have been putting this off for a long time.

finally, the time had come for me to move into the operating room.
they started my vitals, cuddled me up with a blanket, and they put laughing gas on my nose.
i almost requested that they take it off until i started giggling. 
i was a little curious to see if it would calm me or not...but mostly i was holding back laughter. 
the doctor came in and did my iv which became a little tricky since my veins like to hide when i don't drink any water...results of fasting.
but after that everything is a blur.
i remember saying good bye to chad (who i could tell was a little upset leaving me)
 and then the next thing i remember is saying hi to him.
i was puzzled on how they had moved me into a different room.
i woke up feeling fine and relaxed.

chad couldn't believe that it only took 20 minutes & neither could i.
before we knew it i was getting wheeled to my car to go home.

i had a little touch and go of pain and discomfort, but overall the experience hasn't been too bad.
i have spent the last few days laying around eating ice cream and gaining weight.
oddly enough, it looks like all the weight is in my checks :)
chad has been a great sidekick getting me whatever i need or want. 
we have even caught up on mad men which took some serious dedication on our part :)

i am at home this sunday morning with my two kiddos.
they are pretty sweet kids, but i wish i was well enough to be at church.
i started with around the clock meds and ice packs, but i am trying to slowly wean myself off of some of the meds today. they make me pretty dizzy at times.
*
things that have helped...
peppermint ice cream and kfc mashed potatoes have been my favorite mushy foods :)
i have discovered the importance of a soft blankey...parents don't ever make your kids get rid of them!
but most of all, the prayer and support from thoughtful friends and family.
thanks everyone :)
it wasn't as bad as i thought!


No comments:

Post a Comment