Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2012

super-model moms without the airbrushing!

god has blessed me with the gift of 2 daughters.

my oldest daughter is turning 10 this year.
a lot is going through my mind to try and process that fact.
it is a very monumental day to me. 
i want to make it very special.

i have come across a few blogs from other mothers who listed
10 things that they wanted their daughter to know before she turned 10.

i liked the idea and had intentions of printing them out to give her, 
but after actually reading them i felt it was my responsibility
as her mother to write my very own personal advise for her.
the others were great, but were not exactly what i have in mind for my girl.
and since she is a few months away from actually turning the big 10,
i will have to change the title just a little bit anyway.

but...

probably the scariest thought i have rolling around in my head right now is
the realization that i have 2 little pairs of eyes watching me all the time.
i can feel them on me in my highest of moments and especially in my lowest of times.

i also have 2 little pairs of ears listening to everything i have to say,
even in my whispers, body language and mannerisms.
they don't miss a thing.

the fact of the matter is,
the older girls become, the more they sound like their mothers
and mine are no exception. 
(i personally find myself sounding more like my own mother everyday) 

they also tend to do what we do over what we tell them to do.
we are their role models and we should take that job very seriously.


there is really no getting out of it,
a mother is ultimately the most influential person in a daughter's life.

we make a mark in determining their...
level of modesty, 
 media choices, 
self-acceptance,
friendships, 
and spirituality.

i pray i am teaching my daughters all the right things.
i hope they learn to love themselves, love others, and love their creator.

i'm still working on my list of 10 things...but i am determined to have it written
 and ready for my soon-to-be 10-year-old in time for her big day!


1 comment: